From: sockz at email.com (sockz loves you)
Subject: Australia becomes a police state [serious]

----- Original Message -----
From: Grant Bayley <gbayley@...mac.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:23:48 +1100 (EST)
To: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Australia becomes a police state [serious]

> Umm.  Not to rain on your Indymedia-inspired parade, Silvio, but have
> you read the legislation, or any of the discussions in parliament
> surrounding it?  Or have you only read the hyperbolic predictions of doom
> that Indymedia agitators have made?  The single key point that seems to
> be missing in Indymedia forums postings as of early this morning when I
> last checked is that these powers are only intended to be invoked in
> the event of a terrorist attack on the State.  Not for random
*snip*

hmm.  this doesn't seem to gel with the au govts move towards pre-emptive
actions against 'terrorism'.  if we're looking at a post-terrorist-attack
situation, why not just go about the normal proceedure of following leads
and getting a search warrant?  it seems less time consuming, and i'm sure
it would be cheaper.

i think this legislation is just a step in the footprints of the US govts
move to abolish the rights of the free citizen.  i cant say i'm surprised
though.  au is being pressured to keep in step behind US laws in order to
secure its own policies of forward defence (and au relies heavily upon US
forces for this defence policy).  its just the next logical step.

*snap*
> I'm still not sure why this is on full-disclosure, though...
yuh me neither.  though i spose it is relevant given the recent trends to
call hackers "terrorists". this kind of legislation is already being used
in the US for hackers.  why should au be any different?