From: rms at computerbytesman.com (Richard M. Smith)
Subject: How often are IE security holes exploited?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  Let me try to clarify things a bit.

I'm most interested in security holes related to IE, ActiveX controls,
and the Microsoft JVM.  Basically things that can be exploited from an
HTML Web page or email message.   As you noted, these kinds of security
holes can be exploited from Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Media
Player.

Something like Loveletter didn't use any security holes to run.  It's
probably the best example of social engineering being used to get people
to run a virus/worm by clicking on an attached file.

Also does anyone know of an example of a virus or worm that used an IE
security hole that hadn't been seen before?

Richard