From: John.Airey at rnib.org.uk (John.Airey@...b.org.uk)
Subject: Re: Full Disclosure != Exploit Release

On a related note, at the Infosec show 2000 in London I asked the Microsoft
representative in a public forum on security whether they would be fixing a
specific bug. The question was whether they would fix the Lan Manager hash
for encryption on Windows 95 and 98 machines that make it easy to crack
passwords. The response was astonishing. He said that this was 16bit code,
and they wouldn't be fixing it as they are concentrating on supporting 32bit
code.

Lots of businesses use Windows 95 and 98 machines without being aware how
utterly insecure they are. When a vendor is publicly asked about fixing a
known bug and the response is that we know about the bug but aren't fixing
it (even though the affected product is still supposedly supported), what is
a user supposed to do?

Exploit code has its place in waking vendors up to issues. In the above case
, you can buy a password cracker that makes use of this bug.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey@...b.org.uk

Nearly everything we believe is second hand. For example, less than 500
people have seen the Earth from space, yet the majority of people believe it
is round (OK pedants, an oblate sphere).

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk