From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: CERT, Full Disclosure, and Security By Obscurity

Aloha Len,

I'm very glad to see your comments articulating CERT's deevolution into a
pay-for-access zero-day private news wire.

When CERT failed to publish an advisory for the Windows certificate chain
validation flaw in August, 2002 that enabled holders of SSL certificates to
issue arbitrary end entity certificates that Windows/IE would trust
automatically (thus destroying all alleged server identity authentication
value derived through certificate chains and trust in third-party PKI) it
became pretty obvious that CERT had become worse than useless.

Unfortunately, CERT still holds the information security pole position in
the minds of reporters around the world. Call major newspapers and other
media outlets in the U.S. about vulnerabilities, exploits, or incidents and
often times the technical news desk will ask "What does CERT have to say
about this?"

When CERT has nothing to say, reporters won't run stories.

The media simply do not understand that CERT has self-interests that compel
it to suppress vulnerability information. Rather than educate the public to
the reality that SSL certificate chains are meaningless for server
authentication purposes and lobby vendors to rewrite SSL client code so that
end-users can focus more on manual verification of specific public keys
known to be associated with the entities with which they exchange sensitive
information, CERT sat on their hands.

This MUST be as a result of financial dealings with vendors of PKI software
and certificates, which have become big business in spite of the fact that
certificate chains are being abused by programmers who do not understand
their proper use as a means of enabling human users to authenticate the
trustworthiness of particular public keys known to be associated with
particular entities. The only proper use of automated PKI certificate chain
verification is for verification of self-issued certificates rooted at an
organization's own root CA.

Programmers should never have coded systems that automatically verify
certificate chains based on third-party root CA certificates. This is an
extremely bad misuse of PKI, and CERT could have and should have stepped
forward to help put a stop to the practice of misplacing third-party
automated trust when evidence surfaced that the worst-case scenario was in
fact playing out in the real world.

Sun Microsystems' Java Secure Sockets Extension (JSSE) was reported recently
to be vulnerable to a similar PKI certificate chain validation flaw. Do we
see an alert from CERT? Of course not. Do we see media attention to the
subject? No. This is no coincidence -- if CERT does not speak, then neither
does the media.

This makes CERT a harmful organization. It should be dismantled.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org