From: ka at khidr.net (Ka)
Subject: interesting?

At Samstag, 1. Februar 2003 10:54 Berend-Jan Wever wrote:
> The way I see it, it's randomness seems to have
> hampered it.

A infection with an ideal randomness starts with
the same infection rate as an ideal distributed
infection. But it's infection rate per host then
declines while more hosts are allready infected
(cause the random methods will tend to re-scan
allready scanned hosts and try to re-infect allready
infected ones). When 50% of the infectable population
has been reached, the rate has allready dropped to
half the initial value.

The ideal (coordinated distributed) infection
keeps it's initial infection rate (per infected
and thus participating) host constant.

Roughly one could say a ideal coordinated infection
has reached 100% of all hosts within the time the
random method needs to infected 50% of the infectable
population.

With very fast scans and a high number of infectable
host (as was the case with the Sapphire worm), pseudo
random scan were enough to distribute. But this scan
method also accounted for it's high network impact
and "visibility".

With slower scans and a lesser number of possible targets
(as in the case of slapper) the random scan was just too slow
to get much impact.

Had slapper used a coordinated distributed scanning method
(e.g. using it's p2p network for scan-coordination) it would
certainly have compared "favourably" to sapphire.

I predict this 2 worms are just harmless compared to the ones
to come during the next years. Or have we allready overlooked
the more intelligent species?

Ka
- --
Want hear Ancient Music In The Pines?