From: hlk at kramse.dk (Henrik Lund Kramshøj)
Subject: Are the number of vulnerabilities going up? is Symantec counting wrong?

On torsdag, feb 6, 2003, at 17:04 Europe/Copenhagen, Dave Ahmad wrote:

> Here's an idea.  We have a publicly accessible vulnerability database.
> You could try counting the vulnerabilities yourself (!).  You can use
> your crayons or perhaps some automated process.  Facts would answer
> your question better than sending a sensationalist message to a public
> list..
> or was that all you really wanted to do?
Dear Dave

It was NOT my intention to offend you, but this IS being put forward in
sensationalist way - as you yourself put it

IF this is so much a fucking sensation , why doesn't CVE/ICAT agree?
- from 1300 to 2500 is quite a difference!

I think the report is great in many ways, and very important
- maybe the reporters/journalists are just searching and focusing
on the wrong results from it ... and I would like them to report more
important things than the "vulnerability explosion"

My reason for posting is to know if "we", subscribers of the list in
particular
think the number of vulns are exploding?
- IMHO the number of publically known vulns are increasing steadily
currently at a rate of about 100 per month

Just my opinion, no intention to offend

Best regards

Henrik

PS BTW for how long do you intend to keep the database public
- it does seem that being bought by Symantec has had some bad
influence already - as in Why wasn't the Security Focus name used?
other than some http:// references to securityfocus I DONT see much
credit where credit is due - bugtraq is only mentioned by the Bugtraq ID
if you could explain this to I might regard the report as less of a
marketing stunt ... and sorry if this paragraph offend you