From: steve.wray at paradise.net.nz (Steve Wray)
Subject: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

But if things carry on the way they are, ISPs are going
to be required, by law, to restrict access to the internet.

Once upon a time, the internet community was a closed circle,
if someone on the internet released a worm or something
that closed the net down, it only affected that small
circle of geeks. The rest of the world might have
been excused for asking 'so what?'

Not so anymore; ATMs, emergency services etc are all
impacted by crud on the internet.

That being the case, the rest of the world will very soon
be asking why the heck arn't internet service providers
policing their customers better?

Pressure groups will form, politicians will be bribed
oops sorry 'have campaign contributions made' be endlessly
harrassed by highly paid lobbyists (for example).

Soon, unless the internet community can
demonstrate an adequate level of self discipline,
it will no longer be as open as it is today.

Already, there are moves afoot to create 'internet content providers'
as opposed to 'internet service providers'. Think about it; Joe Public,
non-Geek wants music, movies email and porno maybe instant pestering
(oops *messaging*). Content providers can dish all that out at a
fraction
of the cost of a real ISP (lower overheads, less to manage, can
franchise
to RIAA approved outlets etc).

Joe Geek, on the other hand, loses bigtime.

My guess? Unless the internet community shapes up or
oh maybe unless ipv6 becomes the standard for most of
the internet (*snicker* yeah RIGHT) within, say, 5 years
there will be NO open pipe ISP left anywhere in the, uh,
civilised world. You will have to go to somewhere more
interesting like Tuvalu
;)