From: cta at hcsin.net (Bernie, CTA)
Subject: Hackers View Visa/MasterCard Accounts

On 18 Feb 2003, at 11:08, Jason Coombs wrote:

> lucky for cc fraudsters, issuers opt to create cards in batches
> where all of the neighboring card numbers share the same
> expiration date (month/year).
<<<
Taking into account that the batches are done sequentially,
LUHN checksums could be easily discovered through a bit of
simple Mod 10 arithmetic, and that there is better than a 50%
probability of predicting the expiration date, I would say that the
thief could be more successful at exploiting newly generated
credit card numbers, and just use those stolen as seeds.

Now assuming that a thief has successfully generated such
numbers, what would be the best method of attack? How about
a few coins ($0.50) here and there, times 5 million plus cards
per month?  How many credit card customers or issuing banks
will pay any attention to such inconsequential charges?
Especially if the statement notes such a charge something like
"account maintenance fee"?

I fear that the real payload has yet to be calculated.

Bernie
Chief Technology Architect
Chief Security Officer
cta@...in.net