From: brad.knowles at skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Subject: MCAFEE E-MAIL SCAN ALERT!~FWD:
 INTERNET S

At 2:06 PM +1300 2003/04/09, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

>  What he, and several others of us, said makes you stupid is that you
>  _forwarded the whole message when you suspected the attachment was a
>  virus or something similar_.

	For the moment, let's assume that this was a result from a new
virus, Trojan Horse, or hoax that had not previously been encountered.

	Now, this list is called "full-disclosure".  How are we to
intelligently discuss some subject, if we don't have a complete copy
of the thing that it is that we are supposed to be discussing?

>  Your inability to accept that that was extremely stupid is seen as
>  quite reasonably reinforcing that belief.

	I had thought that this was the list where all the real security
experts went, after BugTraq started taking a more intrusive editorial
stance.

	I had thought that we'd have people on this list that have
sufficiently armored themselves against attack that we wouldn't have
things like "virus detected" warnings being posted via automated
programs.

	I had thought that we could have a reasonable discussion, and
that if there was something I had missed, people would provide me
with a pointer to the appropriate information source, without the
infantile need to resort to name-calling.

	A number of people were, indeed, kind enough to provide links to
the virus description web pages (ones that I had searched for but
obviously missed), and I greatly appreciate the speed of their
response.

	Are you, and others, now going to make me regret that this is the
place where I thought that a free and open discussion was actually
possible?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@...net.be>