From: yossarian at planet.nl (yossarian)
Subject: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

> Thank you.  I'm so sick and tired of hearing the cry of "McCarthyism" from
> celebrities who have spoken out against the war and are now suffering from
> boycotts of their products.  Get over it.  You had the right to say what
> you want.  And we have the right to not buy your stupid records, movies,
> whatever.
>
> It's *free* speech, *not* speech without consequences.  Ask Senator Trent
> Lott if there is a price for speech.  I didn't hear any of the anti-war
> celebrities complain about that.

True words, indeed, say what you like but face the consequences. But it is
getting a bit awkward - one of my customers decided not to use any american
computer stuff any more, ever. This means Linux stuff on funny brands of
(taiwanese and french) hardware. I am OK with that for desktop and server
environment (Corel is canadian), and a lot cheaper, but for the WAN part it
is getting really hard. Anyway, underneath it is probably US anyway. Another
customer decided to get rid of american crypto software, since he is afraid
of economic espionage by No such 'n such Agency, helping his us based
competitors. The Brussels incident didn't really help here.These politically
motivated discussions are raising the cost of computing, i guess.

yossarian