From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Break-in discovery and forensics tools

This thread occuredon another list not long ago, and if I recall, tina
bird had some solid information concerning the amissability of system logs
in courts.  Hopefully if she monitors this list, she will share her
knowledge again, and lay this thread to rest.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Richard M. Smith wrote:

> Log files are used fairly often nowadays in both criminal investigations
> and trials.  Here are some examples from the past few years:
>
> E-Mail Trail To Pearl Suspects
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/08/world/main508294.shtml
>
> Philippine ISP cooperating with FBI in virus probe
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-240089.html
>
> Tracking Melissa's alter egos
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-514231.html
>
> Arrest made in Bloomberg story hoax
> http://news.com.com/2100-1023-224500.html?legacy=cnet&tag=st.ne.1002.src
> hres.ni
>
> Emulex hoax suspect bond set at $100,000
> http://news.com.com/2100-1033-245239.html
>
> A person can't be convicted of a crime just because of log files, but
> they certainly can be used in a trial to tell part of the story of a
> crime.
>
> Richard

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.