From: Brad.Bemis at airborne.com (Brad Bemis)
Subject: Break-in discovery and forensics tools

I think you are missing the big picture.

Logs are just one piece of evidence used in a court case.  Used
appropriately, they serve as an indicator.  Yes, you could fake the log
files, but in a court case you are generally going to have a defendant.
The log files would be used to show a pattern of attack in relation to the
traffic normally seen and show how and why an organization would have been
alerted to the situation.

Once an investigation begins, the defendant computer(s) are more than
likely going to be confiscated and analyzed.  It is the digital forensic
evidence that carries a greater weight than just the victims log files.  In
some cases log files may be all that you have to go on, but it is going to
be up the judge and/or jury to make an appropriate determination.

A lot of that weight depends on what steps you as a victim have or do take
to protect your log files and assure their reliability.  If you just show
up with a log file that was implemented without any other security
controls, it will mean a lot less to court exports and the court itself
than a log that has been retrieved from several different locations (like
two or more syslog servers set up to collect the same traffic for
redundancy), that has been timestamped, hashed, and certified through the
chain of custody process.

Yes, technically it can still be falsified, but I don't think that your
argument holds up well in light of observed due diligence and due care as
interpreted by a court.