From: steve.wray at paradise.net.nz (Steve Wray)
Subject: RE: power, corruption and lies

> > This has effectively doomed (almost) the entire IT industry
> > to corruption. Yes, all the way from software to hardware,
> > from sales to support, the IT industry is corrupt.
>
> You've got a keen insight into the IT industry, Steve.

Well thanks, its good to get a reality check. Sometimes
I think I must be crazy to entertain such notions.
I mean how could virtually the entire world be so sucked
in to what amounts to a shell game?

I think that software *could* be reliable *if* there were a
strong enough incentive. The incentive can't be *making*
money because you can make money from shit software as
we can already see. IMO the best incentive would be standing
to LOSE money!
;)

> The really nice thing about this is that all these corrupt
> people really get excited about filing lawsuits against each other
when their
> interests get threatened or when they think they can spread some blame
and
> force somebody else to assume their bad risks and absurd decisions.

I think that they are encouraged by their lawyers.
Lawyers stand to make a mint. Unless the price of law software
goes up to cover the costs of liability insurance...

Its all about interests too; intellectual property rights
seem to be FAR more important than reliability or even
that goods are of merchantable quality.
I mean how can the rights to intellectual property be more important
than whether or not that IP is of merchantable quality?

Then theres innovation. Apparently innovation is far more important
than reliability or responsibility.

I would like to see a world where the IT industry works along
the lines of Soviet military hardware; instead on introducing
entirely new, untested, and poorly thought out innovations
*all* the FREAKING time, you REFINE existing technologies!

Hey, the Chinese are developing an advanced combat rifle,
bullpup design like the British individual weapon but guess what?
Its based on the AK design. And guess what? ITS FREAKIN RELIABLE!

I want an 'office suite' thats as robust as an AK! Ok maybe not to the
extent
that you can drop it in a muddy puddle and drive over it with a truck,
pick it up, shake the water out of the barrel and shoot down a
helicopter
gunship with it...
;)

> This makes for an extremely well-paid computer forensics
> expert witness business that can be populated by real experts who
understand
> the true nature of this business.

Sounds good, but one would need to fork out thousands of $$$ to
get the vendor certifications to be taken seriously...

> My sense is that the Internet bubble
> in the stock markets actually removed a number of the
> perpetuators of the worst offenses by making them so wealthy that they
simply
> retired from the business.

Ummmmm isn't that like the old saying 'take the money and run'?
;)