From: poirotsj at gci.net (Steve Poirot)
Subject: PGP vs. certificate from Verisign

Thawte does still issue free email certificates.  You can have your name
rather than your email address
as the CN if you have roughly three Thawte Notaries verify your id.  The
number of notaries required
depends on how many points the particular notaries are allowed to issue.
 The Thawte site has a way
to look up notaries in your area.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use S/MIME with AOL?  I am not an
AOL user, but I searched
there site and couldn't find anything about security, let alone S/MIME.
 If they really don't support S/MIME,
PGP would be the way to go if you need to have regular
(signed/encrypted) correspondence with AOL users.

Steve Poirot