From: derek at ihtfp.com (Derek Atkins)
Subject: PGP vs. certificate from Verisign

This very much depends on the policy in place.  Generally a client
will generate an X.509 certificate request and send that to the CA.
The CA signs the certreq, generating a certificate which is returned
to the client.  At no point in this protocol is the private key sent
to the CA.

Some CAs will perform a challenge-response verification protocol to
verify that the client has the private key.  This involves sending a
challenge to the client and asking them to sign the challenge with
their private key.  The client returns the signed challenge, thereby
proving access to the private key.  Again, at no point is the private
key sent to the CA.

On the other hand, there are some places where the certificate and
private key are both issued to the user.  I would avoid those like the
plague, but some places do it that way.  Personally I've never seen an
implementation that uses this mechanism, but I've heard of it.

Having written multiple CA systems (both for X.509 and PGP), I've
always just dealt with certificate requests.  I've never required
access to private key material.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins