From: vogt at hansenet.com (vogt@...senet.com)
Subject: AW: About spamb strange characters

> Being an ex sysadmin, recognise them - you missed the complaints from
> recipients of spoofed MAIL FROM: emails ;-)
> That said, surely it is not unreasonable to expect at least a
> response from
> a technically accurate and reasoned complaint that includes
> the original
> spam with headers complete and intact ?

Not really, except that it's a full-time job to find them amongst
the rubble.

> Some ISP's will aggressively check their own netblocks for
> open relays - I
> know mine does and that some people think of it as a nuisance
> - but if you
> are savvy enough to set up a sane MTA, then you are savvy enough the
> blackhole the relay checks, so no big deal really.

We're in the process of starting to do that here. There is, of course,
the usual trouble of convincing the people with the ties (and money)
that it's something worth doing.

> > So the problem is that dummies complaining about other
> dummies clog up
> > the pipes. Solution? I don't know, maybe shoot all the dummies.
>
> How about a "fit to use the internet" licence like you have
> for driving or flying ?

I'm absolutely a fan of that. I just don't think that it'll be possible
to enforce it. Maybe it's too late, or maybe it's just that those in a
position to enforce don't want to lock themselves out.