From: ericv at cruzio.com (Eric N. Valor)
Subject: Zone Alarm

> From: Sven Hoexter <sven@...egate.de>
>
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:20:07AM -0700, morning_wood wrote:
> >?Zone Alarmbuy a $40 hardware router. Software firewalls are not a
> > security solution IMHO.
>
> Well I would say it's very questionable if so called "hardware routers"
> running with software aswell are much better. They probably have bugs
> aswell and often it's not easy to upgrade them.
>
> As always a "firewall" is the whole construct with portfilters and
> users who know on wich "Install this cool Dialer button" they should
> klick and on which not. Ah and a system wich receives regular vendor
> patches is a part of the whole, too.

I always did like AtGuard.  Of course, this was prior to it being swallowed
up by McAfee (or was it Norton) for their Personal Firewall product whereupon
it got "feature-creeped" into (IMHO) useless confusion.  The last version of
pure AtGuard is available out there on the web if you know how to look for
it.

It is/was a nice little basic packet filter for Win32 systems.  I've used it
in combination with certain NATting DSL routers for many home/small-business
networks I've installed and haven't had a customer complaint yet.

There was some discussion regarding possible exploits around AtGuard, but
IIRC those were based more on social engineering techniques (adding trojaned
programs to default paths, etc.) than straight vulnerability

--
Eric N. Valor
ericv@...zio.com

: This Space Intentionally Left Blank :