From: avalon at caligula.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Subject: hackers are evil?

Why do people continue trying to argue the meaning of "hacker" ?

That 'battle' was lost over 10 years ago.

Get over it.

A "hacker", today, is someone who participates in acts relating to
illegal activity with computers, be it phreaking or just cracking.

The english language evolves and this is just part of it.  Just as
"jelly" in the USA is different to "jelly" in Australia, "hacker"
post circa 1990 is different to "hacker" pre circa 1990.

Get used to it.