From: david at crlf.net (David Maxwell)
Subject: Linux firewall

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:26:49AM -0400, Gabe Arnold wrote:
> I would suggest you use an OpenBSD 3.3 setup with the native PF
> (Packet Filter)package which is based on the 'BSD IPF package.
> It's quite nice, easy to use, and very secure.  I'd check out
> www.openbsd.org and www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/ for a good overview of the
> PF package and how to use it.

I would suggest you use a NetBSD-1.6.1 system, with the native ipfilter.
It's quite nice, easy to use, and very secure. ipfilter has been
hardened and debugged since ~1993, unlike PF, which is only almost
2 years old now. I'd check out:

http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/nsps/config_ipf.html
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

...for information on NetBSD, configuring it as a firewall, and ipfilter's
configuration and features.

Also, feel free to email netbsd-help@...bsd.org with questions.

--
David Maxwell, david@....net|david@...well.net -->
Net Musing #5: Redundancy in a network doesn't mean two of everything and