From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: Adminstrivia: Digest Limits/Netiquette

Sparklist already has this feature as does Ecartis and a number of other
list softwares.  (Don't recall off hand, but I'd bet mailman has it as
well.)  Just look at the feature set.

I *can* tell you, as one who subscribes to several private lists that
*use* this feature that it is *very* irritating, and I have declined to
post important information several times because of it.  For example,
one private list I'm on is designed for reposting security notices such
as bugtrag, ntbugtraq or full-disclosure stuff.  Because of the quoting
restriction, you have to copy and paste the notice into a new email
message rather than forwarding it quoted.  IMNSHO this is *worse*
because the copied and pasted version isn't properly attributed.

I *understand* the motivation behind it, and I get irritated with the
stupid ones myself, but *sometimes* there are good reasons for copious
quoting.

I *don't* share Nick's feelings about top-posting simply because *some*
of us have no choice what email app we use.  Even though Outlook is a
top-posting app, I sometimes still go through the laborious process of
bottom-posting with it, simply because I am *required* to use Outlook
here, and top-posting makes it harder to follow the arguments.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member