From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: RE: Attack profiling tool?

As to which tool is enacting the syn flood, it could be one of many, there
are quite a few tools that can do syn flood attacks, which these appear to
be.  what is interesting also are the ICMP's that were displayed as
well...

But, to point directly as some tool/toy that is being used, you'd perhaps
need to gather a number of these, test and monitor while doing so to
findout which might be the one you are observing.  You might google some
of the various attack signature sights on the net looking for similiar
logged traffic to narrow the search some.  Additionally, next time you see
the attack in progess, you might probe the attacking system to narrow down
the OS and again serve to limit your search to tools/toys that play on
that particular OS...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Gareth Blades wrote:

> Sorry but I disagree. Firewalls don't defent against connection floods
> (naptha type attacks) very well at all.
> Take Cisco PIX as an example which has a setting where you can limit the
> maximum connection rate and the number of connections. The connection rate
> for the attack is quite low so this won't help and although the firewall
> will stop too many connections from being established to the web server this
> is done as a general hard limit. Once the limit is reached then no other
> connections are permitted though. This may stop a webserver from crashing
> but it still leaves the website unavailable.
> Firewall-1 is no better.
>
> Statefull packet inspection won't help at all as the packets being sent are
> 100% valid.
>
> Besides as I said originally our own defense product is sitting infront and
> this does block this type of attack. The URL I pointed to with the packet
> capture was produced by our product. I was wondering what tool it could be
> doing this probing as I have seen the exact same profile of probing from at
> least 4 different IP addresses.

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.