From: jr at inconspicuous.org (John Reilly)
Subject: Odd Behavior - Windows Messenger Service

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 17:00, morning_wood wrote:
> > Its generally not considered good practice to install your host in an
> > open (or even partially open) network.  The host should be fully
> > installed, patched and configured securely before connecting.
>
> my post is in regaurd of Windows Messenger being accessable witthout any
> interactive login to take place... not that im dumb for firewalling wrong,
> configuration... etc

I don't think the fact that its accessible without interactive login is
the problem - the problem is that its accepting connections from
anywhere.  It should limit to localhost or at most, hosts on the same
subnet if connected to ethernet.  And yes, I do understand your lack of
firewall - maybe I replied a bit too fast, but in my mind connecting a
windows box without firewalling is a misconfiguration  :)   Point
accepted that there is a problem though.