From: slugbait at severus.org (slugbait)
Subject: Credit card numbers

> On a related note, how do you get web vendors not to store your credit
> card # on their hard disks longer than absolutely necessary?  I trust
> (ssl data entry * number of orders) a lot more than a merchant's ability
> to stay up to date on patches until my card expires.

Check out http://www.mbna.com and look for their "Shopsafe" service.  In
short, you can generate temporary CC numbers that are linked to your
real CC.  You can put limits on the temp numbers like a low limit, one
time use and one-vendor use.  The last one rocks for "subscriptions" to
websites ;)

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

slugbait

(They should be paying me :P)