From: Bojan.Zdrnja at LSS.hr (Bojan Zdrnja)
Subject: Odd Behavior - Windows Messenger Service

Well, "wide open" is same as anything else in the world. OP was talking
about a *default* installation.
I assume that you, as any other security aware person, will harden it's box
before putting it on the Internet.
And you can install a host based firewall and make it even more secure.

Putting a 98 box on a LAN is equivalent with putting RedHat 6.2 on a LAN.

> OK well I wont be condescending - I'll just say that if
> Microsoft acknowledge that it is something they will take
> care of by making it an option in the future as they said
> when I reported it to them last year, then someone obviously
> thinks it CAN be a problem.

I don't really see a point in implementing this. So, if I understood you
correctly, they won't allow any network connection to a box until you log
in???
IMHO, that's not need feature at all. And besides, you won't be able to use
it if you have a network logon (domain).
What about when you lock your screen and go away?

> That was in reference to:
>
> >> I don't see a reason on bashing WinXP for starting a RPC service
> >> automatically when absolutely everything does that (don't
> mention obsolete
> >> Oses please).

I still see no connection between WinXP starting a RPC service and a company
next door to you not needing anti-virus.

Anyway, this is going waaaay from the list charter (IMHO, again) and I won't
participate anymore and filling everyone's mailboxes unless it will be
related to some security issues.

Best regards,

Bojan Zdrnja