From: rwm8 at CSE.MsState.EDU (Robert Wesley McGrew)
Subject: Cisco Bug 44020 - Final Thoughts

As far as your code is concerned any number that suits
(real_vuln_protocol)+256*n should crash the machine.  However, this is
meaningless, since, as you say, the IP header's protocol field is only 8
bits, so you can generate larger numbers all day, but only your
least-significant 8 bits are being sent.

I couldn't tell from your description if you really understood that
anything above 255 is just going to be specific to your program and not
indicating any more exploitable protocols, so apologies if I'm stating the
obvious.  I just don't see how this supports your conclusion that there
are more protocols that cause failure.

Wesley