From: chrisp at ngssoftware.com (Chris Paget)
Subject: DCOM RPC exploit  (dcom.c)

Len,

IMHO there's a difference between "security through obscurity" and posting
working exploit code.  Knowing that there is a vulnerability in DCOM, accessible
over a range of RPC mechanisms (primarily 135/tcp) is all that most
administrators need to know.  It's one thing knowing that you can kill a person
with a gun, and it's another to give away firearms.

Scanners are good; I agree they give out more information than an advisory, but
it's still a step away from giving the kiddies a tool.  Those in the know will
always be able to write an exploit from minimal details; whether or not the
pre-pubescent h4xx0rs get hold of it is another matter though.

Different people will have differing opinions on how much information and what
kind of disclosure policy is acceptable; for me, working exploit code so soon
after the advisory is just irresponsible.

As for the <2 week "grace period", it's not enough.  What if the patch is
broken in some way?  It was rushed out the door by Microsoft; how many admins
wait a month before applying a patch, just to see if anyone else has problems
with it?  I've just finished an audit on a multinational manufacturing company;
the exploit code came out before they'd patched.  How many other companies are
in the same boat?

I agree, exploit code may force people to patch, but that's not sufficient
justification in my book.

Chris