From: jenbradley at webmail.co.za (Jennifer Bradley)
Subject: DCOM RPC exploit  (dcom.c)

I don't think you were reading the advisories properly... ;)

MSDE (Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Edition) was vulnerable, which many
products use, including Office, Visual Studio .NET, etc.  Just to
refresh your memory, here's a list of products that contain MSDE

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/forum/applicationslistgridall.aspx

So, it is not a corner-case at all, not even in the slightest bit.
VPNs are common enough these days, so the chances of someone VPNing
into a network with an infected or infectable computer is actually
pretty high.

In the same vein, it looks like if a worm is released, it will most
probably be easily transferable into any corporate domain that has
VPNs as well, since every un-patched Windows is vulnerable.

jb