From: salgatt at turtleshell.net (Scott M. Algatt)
Subject: Avoiding being a good admin - was DCOM RPC
 exploit (dcom.c)

There are other methods of doing patches as well.  I know of one company,
PatchLink, that does a deployment.  You simply install the client software
on a system and then it checks into the master server.

configurations such as those could help reduce the maintenance cost of
patching.  The up front cost of the software and configuration is costly
but after that you are running smooth.

This is a software that we recently deployed and it is working great.  We
are able to see what patches haven't been applied to certain machines.  We
have our machine split into groups, automatic and manual.  This allows for
the onsite administrator to decide when they want to patch.

Regards,

Scott M. Algatt

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.