From: bwatson at nettracers.com (Bryan K. Watson)
Subject: DCOM Exploit MS03-026 attack vectors

> Because 9 times out of 10 port 135 is blocked by some sort of firewall,
> whilst port 80 is not blocked on a web server.

Not telecommuters on dial-up IP's and Blue-Toothed into the net thru
their Ericsson phones, and surfing from the airport and WIFI cafes of the
world.   Most Sysadmins are still oblivious to the need for
desktop/personal firewalls like Zone Alarm and McAfee.  Dial
up IP address pools are THE attack vector to watch out for, since a crack
there will crack the private networks of the world, either thru VPN, or
when the user walks back into the office and plugs in the wormed system.

Spend hundreds of thousands on firewalling, millions in man hours on
security, then let unprotected laptops in and out of your network, and
allow uncontrolled home computers to VPN....what a waste.

You don't need high bandwidth for the initial spread....just a good
vector.   People need to think about this threat differently...I'm sure
that the crackers and espionage folks already have.

-Bryan