From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: Can DCOM be disabled safely?

Earlier today I posted some preliminary research that I had been doing into
the ramifications of disabling DCOM.  I reported that SMS was affected by
it and several other things may be, including SUS, Group Policies and the
Management Snap-in.  Since then, I have been corresponding with a gentleman
who has been testing disabling DCOM in a test environment.

So far it appears that disabling DCOM will *not* impact the snap-ins, SUS
or policies.  It also appears that it *may* not impact SMS either, although
testing is ongoing.  I just wanted to clarify this in case some had taken
my comments to be the final word.

Obviously everyone's environment is different, and what works in one might
not work in another.  So proceed carefully.

With regard to my comments about SUS using Windows Update technology to
verify patches (and therefore being subject to false positives), I quote
from Microsoft:

"Software Update Services is based on the same back-end technology used on
the public Windows Update site that has been servicing Windows customers
since mid-1998."
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/suscomponents.asp>

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer