From: joel at helgeson.com (Joel R. Helgeson)
Subject: Red Bull Worm

Ahem;
1) This is the list where exploits get posted. If/when a worm is released,
this is where you'll hear about it first. Its usually created by someone who
monitors the list. If early warnings are too much for you to handle, unsub
from the list and wait to hear about this stuff on CNN.
2) Code Red infected IIS servers, used those infected servers to spread
itself, and setup compromised machines to perform a massive DOS attack
against the whitehouse.gov server at a predetermined date & time. Pretty
simple.
3) RPC/DCOM is running on every single Win2k, 2k3, XP & NT4 machine on this
side of the sun. No need to look for servers that are running IIS.  If you
were to compile the code, you'll see how devastatingly efficient this code
is at providing you root access to any box you aim this thing at.
4) Once the machine is exploited, the box will establish an outbound
connection to an FTP server, or IRC server to await further instructions.
If you can't look at this fact alone and realize that this is a pretty big
f***ing hole, you need to get yerself a new line of work.
5) People think that filtering ports on the firewall will prevent the bug
from infecting them.  All you need to do is email it into someone and have
them double click. That virus would infect every server within the
enterprise within seconds.  If you think "That'll never happen" then just
look at the message.zip virus that spreads. Every village has its idiot.
6) EVEN IF the code hasn't been worm-ified yet, it is only a matter of time.
The exploit works, that much has been proven.
7) If you don't agree that this issue is MUCH LARGER than Code Red, well...
its time for a new job.

Regards,
Joel