From: steve at stevesworld.hopto.org (Stephen Clowater)
Subject: Disclose a bug, do not pass go, go directly to jail

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms@...puterbytesman.com>
To: "'Matthew McGehrin'" <mcgehrin@...erse.net>; "'Stephen Clowater'"
<steve@...vesworld.hopto.org>
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 1:51 PM
Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] Disclose a bug, do not pass go, go directly
to jail

> My understanding is that the 14,000 messages went to Tornado's customer.
> 14,000 messages doesn't sound like a lot of messages to deliver for a
> company that was in the messaging business.

Exactly, and they were all legitmate emails too. However, what they did
charge him with was a ddos attack, so basically they just said that 14 000
emails was him attempting to dos the mail servers. And under that staute it
was illegal.

> My impression is that this case was a misuse of the criminal justice
> system.  Tornado should have taken Bret to civil court if he went public
> with company confidential information.

This was my impression as well. While 'technically' it may have been legal,
it was definatly a miscarriage of justice by any means. A civil suit, maybe,
I doubt if you could sell something that sneaky to 12 people in a box, but
at the same time, its a blatent miscarrage to send someone to jail for this.
Based on the findings of the USC.

> Looks like Tornado was a typical dot-bomb company and is now out of
> business.

Yes, it was, any company who has plain text credienals going over the
network has no business selling software.

> Richard

I dont think this Was a spam, i think this was something else, if he wanted
to dos the company, why send only 14 000 mails? Dos tools like octopus make
well over a millon connections to take down send mail boxes.

The company _said_ their servers went down because of the traffic, but an
internal memo was leaked to cnn a few weeks later saying that they had
takent he network down themseleves to fix the problem. And before the
network went down the vunerability was there, and when it went back up it
wasnt.

Also, it dosnt make sense that 14 000 mails would kill a *inx based mail
server, I'm not sure if they were using exchange or sendmail at the time, if
it was an exchange box it probably would have been possible, but as Richard
said, 14 000 messages isnt alot of messages for a comapny who is in the
messageing business. These people definatly had a cluster of mailservers. No
doubt. So it dosnt make sense by any logic that 14 000 emails would take
down their network.