From: steve at stevesworld.hopto.org (Stephen Clowater)
Subject: aside:  worm vs. worm?

This is unlikley, While entirely possible, worms that wipe out hard drives
generally dont live long because they are wiping out the very mediums they
are using to spred.

However, I'm almost getting to the point were I think we SHOULD have a worm
that wipes out peoples hard drives. Even after this dcom I have clients who
are still refusing to take the treat of viruses, hacking, and general network
security seriously.

The reason behind it is because they just call me, and I can sit something on
their borders to go thru the internal network and clean all the machines
remotly. Then block port 135 & 137 and its done. The only time they lost was
the time it took me to get there +10 minutes.

And even after having most of the network owned they still dont take seriously
the threats that exist on the internet. Why? because they didnt lose any
work, and there wasnt much downtime.

Unfortunatly, most businesses implement reactive security policies. And this
is a policy that unfortunatly is rewarded since we havent had a truley
destructive to the functioning of a corperation (ie - Destruction of data)
When that happens, I think your going to see a renewed interest in security.

On August 12, 2003 06:35 am, Joey wrote:
> imagine if the bug wiped out the infected computers'
> harddrives. microsoft would be put out of business.
>
> --- Darren Reed <avalon@...igula.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > But it's Microsoft's own web site that is being
> > targeted and it is
> > through their own bug that it is being made
> > possible.  As much as
> > they would like to point the finger at others for
> > making the code
> > available to do it, if their software didn't have
> > the bug, it would
> > not be possible it all.  Hrm, I don't really want to
> > start _THAT_
> > discussion again, but I don't think you will find
> > much, if any,
> > sympathy for Microsoft being targetted by this worm.
> >  They're a
> > large, rich, monopoly of a company.  Do they really
> > deserve any
> > nice sympathy at all ?  I suspect I'm not alone in
> > these feelings.
> >
> > Darren

> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

- --
- -

Stephen Clowater

Sam:  What's going on, Normie?
Norm: My birthday, Sammy.  Give me a beer, stick a candle in
      it, and I'll blow out my liver.
		-- Cheers, Where Have All the Floorboards Gone

Woody: Hey, Mr. P.  How goes the search for Mr. Clavin?
Norm:  Not as well as the search for Mr. Donut.
       Found him every couple of blocks.
		-- Cheers, Head Over Hill

The 3 case C++ function to determine the meaning of life:

char *meaingOfLife(){

#ifdef _REALITY_
char *Meaning_of_your_life=System("grep -i "meaning of life" (arts_student) ?
                                                      /dev/null:/dev/random);
#endif

#ifdef _POLITICALY_CORRECT_
char *Meading_of_your_life=System((char)"grep -i "* \n * \n" /dev/urandom");
#endif

#ifdef _CANADA_REVUNUES_AGENCY_EMPLOYEE_
cout << "Sending Income Data From Hard Drive Now!\n";
System("dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda");
#endif

return Meaning_of_your_life;

}