From: jeremiah at nur.net (Jeremiah Cornelius)
Subject: Windows Dcom Worm planned DDoS

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 06:40 am, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:

> I guess everybody can implement SUSserver (www.susserver.com): it's a
> local version of a windows update server.
> If you implement this, you can allow only this server access to the
> microsoft update sites, and let everybody else (from within the
> ISP his network) connect to the local update server.

I guess everyone can implement THIS to upgrade Windows:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/KickStart-HOWTO.html

Or even better!  Why should you distribute risky code to every physical point
in an organization?  Personal OS installs are for laptops.

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-3.0-4-en.html

Microsoft's "Trustworthiness' is running a wee bit thin.  This exploit
survived their charming little 'code review and profiling' PR episode last
year - and the 5 month delay of Win2003 for security reasons.

>From a risk perspective, every security manager in the world should be
weighing the value of including any MS platform or protocol in their trusted
operations.  Factors in this equation include a vendor who's business
interests are in potential or active conflict with most of their customers; a
vendor with a track record of CONSISTANTLY getting the most important things
wrong 8 out of 10 times; a vendor with a willingness to embed^H^H^H^H^H
infest server platforms with public keys, for which they maintain the private
keys.

This last factor - from any vendor - should present an irrepairable violation
of Security Policy.  Why worry about trojans on your OS of choice, when the
OS is itself a trojan?

--
Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE

Information Security Technology

email: jcorneli@...mail.com - mobile: 415.235.7689

"What would be the use of immortality
to a person who cannot use well a half hour?"

--Ralph Waldo Emerson