From: marc at eeye.com (Marc Maiffret)
Subject: short Blaster propagation algorithm analysis

"* It uses a "choose random IP, then scan sequentially from there"
algorithm"

It is not always a random IP that is chosen. Each time a host is infected,
there is a 40% chance that it will begin at the first address of its "Class
C"-size subnet (x.x.x.0), and a 60% chance that it will start at a
completely random IP address with the last octet set to 0
([1-254].[0-253].[0-253].0).

For a more accurate analysis of this worm please visit the eEye Blaster
Analysis at: http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AL20030811.html A
lot of the analysis i have read have been incomplete or just plain
incorrect. Like people failing to mention that "Disabling DCOM" on Windows
2000 SP0, SP1, SP2, does not actually work. Or that Microsoft fails to
mention, in their advisory, that you must restart your system after
disabling DCOM. etc....

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer