From: Arian.Evans at fishnetsecurity.com (Evans, Arian)
Subject: ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM Worm Propagation (fwd)

Chris,

#That's only good if you're at home and they would also need to be savy
#enough to know how to configure it properly

2000 and XP have builtin IP packet filters. XP has a "personal
firewall".

I'm not sure what being at home (or being elsewhere) has to do with it,
but the fact remains that the technology is there. The packet filtering
is rather IP-chains like; it's completely stateless, and configuration
is
a manual process requiring basic TCP/IP knowledge.

Once you turn on the packet filtering, you either allow all, or deny all
and then allow specific ports (unidirectional, TCP, UDP, and "IP").

XP's "firewall" has several pre-defined higher layer protocols that
you can enable with a checkbox, and is a bit more user-friendly in
terms of distinguishing between inbound and outbound traffic.

Regarless of ease of use: it's there, it's free, and fully functional.

Cheers,

Arian

#