From: steve at stevesworld.hopto.org (Stephen Clowater)
Subject: Fwd: Re: Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls

On August 13, 2003 05:06 pm, Joey wrote:
> Although it is true, i still thought it was
> interesting because it was written yesterday. They'd
> rather have people buy hardware firewalls instead of
> stopping their software from having open ports on the
> internet.
>
> http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/northrup/02august12.asp

Of course they want windows users to buy hardware firewalls. The windows TCP
stack is so weak, and the system so insecurly designed that windows machines
that don't have another box .... doing the work the OS itself is suppose to
be doing ... this is not a good olution because it dosnt really address the
problem.

Currently, the back door to my apartment is sticking. I've found its because
when you turn the knob....the latch does not retract completely into the
door. Should I fix that by shaveing some wood off the doorframe so it wont
catch agianst it when the door is opened? Of course not, your not actually
fixing anything there are you? And theres nothing to stop the problem from
causing the latch to continue saging further out of the door as time goes on.
If all I do is to continue to shave wood off the frame soon the door wont
close at all. So why should we have to stick a firewall in front of a machine
just to stop the OS from blundering what comes over the wire?

I think this is more of a attempt by microsoft to find a cheap solution to
midigate the massive amount of break ins of windows boxes.

After all....a windows box is just an irc bot you havent rooted yet :)

> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

- - --
- - -

* Stephen Clowater

...And no philosophy, sadly, has all the answers.  No matter how assured
we may be about certain aspects of our belief, there are always painful
inconsistencies, exceptions, and contradictions.  This is true in religion as
it is in politics, and is self-evident to all except fanatics and the naive.
As for the fanatics, whose number is legion in our own time, we might be
advised to leave them to heaven.  They will not, unfortunately, do us the
same courtesy.  They attack us and each other, and whatever their
protestations to peaceful intent, the bloody record of history makes clear
that they are easily disposed to restore to the sword.  My own belief in
God, then, is just that -- a matter of belief, not knowledge.  My respect
for Jesus Christ arises from the fact that He seems to have been the
most virtuous inhabitant of Planet Earth.  But even well-educated Christians
are frustated in their thirst for certainty about the beloved figure
of Jesus because of the undeniable ambiguity of the scriptural record.
Such ambiguity is not apparent to children or fanatics, but every
recognized Bible scholar is perfectly aware of it.  Some Christians, alas,
resort to formal lying to obscure such reality.
- - - Steve Allen, comdeian, from an essay in the book "The Courage of
  Conviction", edited by Philip Berman

The 3 case C++ function to determine the meaning of life:

char *meaingOfLife(){

#ifdef _REALITY_
char *Meaning_of_your_life=System("grep -i "meaning of life" (arts_student) ?
                                                      /dev/null:/dev/random);
#endif

#ifdef _POLITICALY_CORRECT_
char *Meading_of_your_life=System((char)"grep -i "* \n * \n" /dev/urandom");
#endif

#ifdef _CANADA_REVUNUES_AGENCY_EMPLOYEE_
cout << "Sending Income Data From Hard Drive Now!\n";
System("dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda");
#endif

return Meaning_of_your_life;

}

- --
- -

Stephen Clowater

FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #15
A:	The Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Q:	What was the greatest achievement in taxidermy?