From: xillwillx at yahoo.com (w g)
Subject: New Blaster variant using UDP port 1038?

maybe this is a way of detecting which machine is running XP as messenger is installed by default.. im not sure if its always listening on that port if the user has not signed up with msn. ill have to look into it.
-illwill

Jeremiah Cornelius <jeremiah@....net> wrote:

> We're starting to see exploit attempts that are followed by probes from
the infected host on tcp/4444,
> and then UDP/1038. Has anyone else seen this?

Yeah. And UDP/1026.

I mailed this yesterday:

Interesting phenomenon emerging:

We have noticed in our log aggregators that some of the same hosts yesterday
that were doing port 135 scans... today seem to be doing some port 1026
scans. This is a listener port for MS Messenger. List follwers will
remember that this has been used as an avenue for spammers to send "pop-up"
alerts on users desktops.

farm9 (the InfoSec group I work for) is keeping an eye on this - we
correlate syslog, winlog, IDS and firewall data from a dozen or so
enterprises.

Has anybody spotted similar activity? It would be interesting to see if
this is a new worm iteration. Maybe sombody clever has figured they can
deliver MSSBlast.exe or phallus32.exe via Messenger.

I have already noticed curious folks that find that they can bind to a shell
on 4444, and are now fiddling around here - for a minute or so... ;-)

--
Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, Debianaut
farm9 Security

"What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
hour?"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson