From: dlhane at sbcglobal.net (David Hane)
Subject: MS should point windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1

I just finally started reading this thread. I wish I had read it earlier but
all the noise around this place has been driving me crazy.

Anyway, I have 2 such machines on my network. My solution has been to yank the
ethernet cable . I know, minus points, but there are other ways to get
information to/from the machine. In cases where it is only feasible to use
the network I have trained the users to plug it in only for the duration of
the network session. Believe it ro not this has been working great ever since
my intern updated the machines and they were down for 3 days. Now the users
know what it's like to not have them working and they're very helpful.

Actually this brings up an interesting idea. Has anyone ever actually "broke"
a machine on purpose as a way to show the users how good they have it and how
much trouble it would be for them if they don't cooperate with network
policies? Sure it's not ethical but it could be quite effective?