From: gshively at pivx.com (Geoff Shively)
Subject: east coast powergrid / SCADA [OT?]

>  Now can we give msblast a rest? :)

Not just yet, I still have a breath or two left =).

>This is far from a complete explanation. But it fits the available facts,
it
>fits the timetable of what happened, and it makes logical sense in relation
>to the recent history of the power grid.

I have to concur, but in this case, I am referring to the blast theory. It
does
fit the timetable and available facts. I am not saying this is fact, I am
saying
we should not dismiss it easily.

Quick and easy dismissal on this list and others were surprisingly hard to
find,
discussions have been intelligent and well rounded. Lots of input from
people
who actually know the SCADA and DCS systems, as well as people in general
security.

This information sharing makes me happy compared to the frustration I
experience when I read the quotes by SANS and CERT reps in all of the
national news media articles dismissing the possibility without even
looking into it. How do I know they didn't look into it? Well, for starters
there was a statement made by Alan Paller, CEO of SANS Institute said it is
"highly unlikely" that the  process control computers behind critical
infrastructure like power in the United States would run on the Windows
operating system.

> Please, if that
> were the case, why have none of hte other billons of windows
vulnerabilities
> ever affected the grid? more specifically, why havent any of the thousands
> of rpc vunerabilites ever effected the grid?

This is one of the largest RPC worms released is it not? I am actually
asking,
because I cannot remember one that exploited the same conditions or mimicked
the activates of blaster.

Also, you never know when a certain set of circumstances will permit one
thing from happening and not another. One of the nuances of multi-layers
technology.

> Niagra somehow saw this coming and shut down all generators in time
> to stay on the grid, and as the failure expanded more failsafe kicked in
> contain it.

CNN also said that the entire cascading shutdown occurred in 9 seconds
total.

This means that the Niagara plant was one of the first in this cascade
effect and
would have had a fraction of that time to see a surge coming, and with the
speed
in which we all know electrical surges travel there would be little to no
warning.

I am no power expert, I am just working with the facts provided to me, and
my
uber leet math skills of adding and subtracting ;)

> This is far from a complete explanation.

As is anything at this point, but hey, this is all part of the process.

Cheers,

Geoff Shively, CHO
PivX Solutions, LLC

http://www.pivx.com