From: jeremiah at nur.net (Jeremiah Cornelius)
Subject: Windows Update: A single point of failure for the world's economy?

> Hi,
>
> The Washington Post has an article in today's paper saying that
> Microsoft is mulling over making the Auto-Update feature of Windows XP
> be turned on by default.  The article can be found here:
>
>    Microsoft Weighs Automatic Security Updates as a Default
>    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A11579-2003Aug18
>
> This move by Microsoft sounds pretty scary to me.  I am willing to bet
> that if Microsoft proceeds with these plans, the Windows Update Web site
> could easily distribute and install new software on hundreds of

Try out Linux on all the users you can.  Some folks will have minor quibbles
with office file formats, etc.  Generally the experience is favorable, and a
real relief from M$ Slave ware.

You want CLEAN slick desktop Linux demo?  Give Knoppix a try.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Klaus Knopper in DE has a bootable CD-ROM that includes autodetection of
nearly all hardware, a full desktop, OpenOffice, dial-up, etc.  Nothing is
partitioned - in fact defaults prevent a desktop user from r/w access to
existing drives.

I ran on a 500 MHz ThinkPad with 256Mb RAM, and was happy.  A new machine
would rip.