From: steve at stevesworld.hopto.org (Stephen Clowater)
Subject: Fwd: Re: Administrivia: Binary Executables w/o Source

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Date: August 18, 2003 08:28 pm
From: Stephen Clowater <steve@...vesworld.hopto.org>
To: attica@...ckheap.org

On August 18, 2003 01:06 pm, S . f . Stover wrote:
> On 18 Aug 03 03:40:34PM Len Rose[len@...sys.com] wrote:
> : My message was not about the size ofd
> : the file but rather about the sheer useless re-transmission
> : of a binary (any executable) that no one in their right mind
> : would actually run which is why I suggested that source code
> : should be included next time.
>
> Would that really matter though?  I mean, how would I know that the binary
> included came from the attached source?
>
> Plus, I do have quarantined machines I blow away and rebuild regularly that
> I don't mind putting unknown binaries on from time to time.  Any my mileage
> definitely does vary  ;-)
>
> Just my 0.02.  I figure there's no list like FD for unknown binaries...

Personally,I think FD should bounce back any message with a binary
 attachement to the poster. This is not a 0day exploit list, if you cant
 compile it yourself, you shouldnt have the binary :)
- - --
- - -

* Stephen Clowater

Delta: We never make the same mistake three times.   -- David Letterman

The 3 case C++ function to determine the meaning of life:

char *meaingOfLife(){

#ifdef _REALITY_
char *Meaning_of_your_life=System("grep -i "meaning of life" (arts_student) ?
                                                      /dev/null:/dev/random);
#endif

#ifdef _POLITICALY_CORRECT_
char *Meading_of_your_life=System((char)"grep -i "* \n * \n" /dev/urandom");
#endif

#ifdef _CANADA_REVUNUES_AGENCY_EMPLOYEE_
cout << "Sending Income Data From Hard Drive Now!\n";
System("dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda");
#endif

return Meaning_of_your_life;

}

- --