From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Sobig.F...what took so long

"Robert Ahnemann" <rahnemann@...inity-mortgage.com> wrote:

> So its 4 days after the virus was found, and they just discover that its
> got a list of 20 machines that it will pull from to create a massive
> DDoS across the net?  What took them so long to find it?

No.

Reading the more detailed descriptions posted by some antivirus
developers back on Tuesday and Wednesday you would have seen that it
was well-known that this was coming.

Now, four days later, some companies have elected to draw some media
attention by announcing "We have discovered [blah, blah, blah]".

Of course, if you trust these companies then the fact their claim
strongly implies they have just discovered this feature of the virus
suggests something about the quality of their research.  If you think
that this element of their recent press releases is "just over
enthusiastic marketing" then that tells you something else about these
companies and their priorities...

Several companies just got on with the job, coordinated behind the
scenes, pooled resources and information and tried to get suitable
authorities involved so the right actions would be taken at appropriate
times.  No (well, little) need for media histrionics, etc, etc.  Much
as this list is "full-disclosure" I'm sure even the most ardent pundits
of that position understand that there can be times that to STFU and
not say anything publicly can be highly desirable to getting the best
outcome.  Not all situations can be "fixed" most appropriately by
informing world plus dog (ahead of time) what is in store.  (If you
don't understand that, get out of the security industry as you are a
liability, not an asset.)

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.