From: rahnemann at affinity-mortgage.com (Robert Ahnemann)
Subject: Bill Gates blames the victim

> "Richard M. Smith" <rms@...puterbytesman.com> writes (quotes):
>>    ;;    Q. "The buffer overrun flaw that made the Blaster worm
>>    ;;    possible was specifically targeted in your code reviews
>>    ;;    last year. Do you understand why the flaw that led to
>>    ;;    Blaster escaped your detection?"
>>    ;;
>>    ;;    A. "Understand there have actually been fixes for all of
>>    ;;    these things before the attack took place. The challenge
>>    ;;    is that we've got to get the fixes to be automatically
>>    ;;    applied without our customers having to make a special
effort."

>> "Don't trust our software. But do trust our patching/update
>> process..."
>
>Don't trust software but trust our software patches...
>
>We can continue the sentence by adding that the special effort is
>needed because new bugs are generated by these patches.

Let's relate this to real life (flame that line if you want).  Your car
has a defect that causes the oil pan to leak.  Ford (I drive one, I can
talk) issues a recall saying they know about the leak and are offering
you a free fix, if you would just take the time to take the car to the
shop.  You decide that you know better and that you would rather not
invest the time.  You engine is lying on the ground three weeks later.
Whose fault is it?  They told you it was a problem.  You neglected to
address it.  I can tell you who will be paying for the engine.   Today's
society is about dissolving accountability.  I'm all for changing this
around.

(forgot to send to the list poo)