From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: SMC Router safe Login in plaintext

Every ISP I've ever dealt with stores your password in plaintext.  If
this were not true, they would not be able to tell you what it is.  Just
call support, identify yourself and ask them to change your password for
you.

The risk is that someone else could use your account to access the
Internet.  Apparently that's a risk the ISPs are willing to take.  So
exposing your ISP password in plaintext on your own computer is really
no more of a risk than you are already exposed to.

That's why I use "throwaway" passwords for ISP access.  They're
worthless anyway.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas