From: rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com (Rainer Gerhards)
Subject: Office 2000 Vulnerability

> Yes I have seen pirated copies on clients machines that can
> have SP1 and SP2
> applied but it is tricky and not for the novice user. Once
> SP1 and Sp2 have
> been applied it can then be updated fully to all the
> vulnerabilities. I am
> sure there are tons of pirated copies floating around that
> the usual user
> would not have a clue on how to patch them. Whether it is up
> to m$ to allow
> these to be patched is a whole kettle of beans that I will
> assume they would
> say if you don't pay for it then $crew you.

We are ourselvs selling software. Thus I know the issue. My point is
that this way aren't the hurting the community at large more than the
pirates? So they may screw the pirate, but in doing so they screw me, a
legitimate customer.

I also think this is not an MS-only issue. In fact, I need to think
about our own policies in this regard...

In the real world, would it be OK if you let a thief crush a truck
because you know the brakes are broken but you don't tell him? What
about the innocent victims that got hit by the truck?

Rainer