From: hobbit at avian.org (*Hobbit*)
Subject: Why does a home computer user need DCOM?

Once again, I wouldn't mind a way to turn off *ALL* the RPC stuff,
including the RPC service itself, without paying the price of having
almost everything I do afterward just sit there and stupidly wait for it
to respond.  A box with it disabled *will* run, just barely, it'll just
be sluggish as hell.

Or at the very least a way to run it so it doesn't listen on a socket
bound to *.  How 'bout localhost-only, or the equivalent of unix-domain
pipes, or *something* to keep it insulated from the network??  How 'bout
the same for SMB/tcp 445?

Argh.  There's probably some registry hack that *could* do that.

_H*