From: craig at strong-box.net (Craig Pratt)
Subject: DCOM MS03-26/MS03-39 Scanners

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 15:53 US/Pacific, Jerry Heidtke wrote:

> At about the time I sent the message below, ISS released an update to
> xfrpcss.exe which apparently resolves some or most of the accuracy
> problems. Of course, there's no notice of this on their web site, nor
> does the executable contain any kind of version identification.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts and generosity of the
> vendors making these tools freely available. But releasing scanning
> tools with major accuracy problems, followed by silent upgrades, really
> does little good to the people who are trying to use these tools to
> save
> their users, employers, and themselves.
>
> Jerry

Has anyone tried Nessus for this? I have it, but I don't have access to
vulnerable machines. Well, I should say I don't have access to
known-invulnerable machines - there are plenty of the vulnerable
variety. ;^)

Nessus plugin 11835: Microsoft RPC Interface Buffer Overrun (KB824416)

  http://cgi.nessus.org/plugins/dump.php3?id=11835

Craig

---
Craig Pratt