From: mds at helices.org (Michael D Schleif)
Subject: RE: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

Thor Larholm <thor@...x.com> [2003:09:11:15:28:33-0700] scribed:
<snip />

> One thing is sure, we will see a greater level of automation for patch
> management in the future. I can reasonably imagine the default
> installation of Longhorn to automatically download and install
> critical
> security updates, and given an agreement like we already have with
> most
> AV software I see no problems in that.

And when that happens, m$oft will lose a very profitable bit of
business, especially regarding HIPAA governed medical facilities,
research labs, high security government applications, &c.

The fact is, it can take many months and tens of thousands of dollars to
get a single piece of medical equipment certified at a fixed and static
configuration, any change from which automatically nullifies said
certification.  These types of enterprises cannot allow anybody to just
up and change software -- patches or not -- or risk losing income, or --
worse -- going out of business.

Unfortunately, automatic updates are not quite the slam dunk some might
think them to be . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds