From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Re: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

Hi,

I think that this thread has done a lot to point out how *little* the
technical community understands the business and legal aspects of
security :-)

IANAL, however I have studied contract law in America. In America, EULA
is construed as a contract by the American courts. It is not part of a
separate contract, it is its own contract. Courts consider contracts to
be valid if, among other things, there is "bargain for legal detriment".
In this case, the court would likely construe the payment for the software
in exchange for the rights, as defined in the EULA, to be a contract,
and would consider "opening the package and using the software" as tacit
acceptance of the EULA terms and conditions. In order to win a case where
the software user was arguing the terms and conditions of the EULA, the
users would have to abstain from opening and using the software, or else
would have to *write* back to the company that made the software and
say something like "I will consider your offer, and in the meantime would
you accept *my* terms and conditions", and then enumerate those. That
action keeps the original contract *alive* as opposed to "no I won't accept
your terms and conditions", which renders the contract dead (and also
makes it illegal for the user to use the software.

Remember, I am talking straight American law (as *I* understand it) here,
not "common sense" or "reasonable" or anything else intellectually, just
what the lawyers and the courts would say and do in a case such as this.

AFA security, I'd say that this mechanism offers t he software company a
tremendous amount of security, as long as they are willing to pay their
attorneys to fight all the people who will invariably attempt to circumvent
the EULA.

Bottom line - if you don't like the EULA, *write* them as explained above
and *don't* open or use the software, otherwise when you get dragged into
court you are not going to last very long.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss                                    Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg@...liss.com